There’s never a bad time to get healthy. No matter what time of year it is, you can always take control and take the right steps to get fit and feel great. As we get closer to the holidays, however, it’s very important to make that effort to get moving and eat right. With all the holiday parties and delicious food around, some reports reveal Americans gain anywhere from 1 to 7 pounds in November and December! All the more reason to get fit for the holidays!
Here in Hawley, PA, a great place to get fit for the holidays is Lake Region Fitness. This full-service gym offers top-notch service, personal training and a wide variety of equipment and classes to help you meet your personal fitness goals.
Get Moving to Get Fit for the Holidays
One thing you’ll always hear in an effort to get healthy is that you need to get moving. You absolutely have to eat right, but you also need to move your body! Lake Region Fitness is the perfect place to do just that. Whether you’re trying to get back into an exercise routine or you have never set foot in a gym, the staff at Lake Region Fitness can help create a plan that’s just right for you. They have various levels of membership available, ranging from day passes, and month-long, seasonal and annual memberships! The day passes are great if you happen to be visiting and staying at the nearby Settlers Inn or Ledges Hotel.
If you love the idea of group classes, Lake Region Fitness has plenty from which to choose. Its monthly calendar of fitness classes include spin, boot camp, yoga, core, boxing, Zumba and more!
If you prefer to work out on cardio equipment and lift weights, Lake Region Fitness has an array of the latest equipment available, and personal training to go along with it if needed!
Eating Right is Part of It, too
Something else you’ll hear from experts when you’re trying to get fit for the holidays – or any time of year – is that you have to eat properly. Regular exercise and eating right go hand-in-hand. A couple of great places to pick up fresh, local ingredients or ready-to-go meals in Hawley are the Mill Market and Cocoon Coffee House, both also located at the Hawley Silk Mill!
Stop in the Mill Market to grab ingredients for your salad. It stocks beautiful produce that’s grown locally. In addition to seasonal organic produce, fresh baked breads and pastries, you’ll also find a wide selection of locally made cheeses and meats, bulk grains herbs and coffees, specialty ethnic foods, and all your pantry staples like eggs and milk.
The Cocoon Coffee House is a great place to grab a delicious coffee – pre- or post-workout – as well as a healthy salad or sandwich.
5 Tips for Getting Fit for the Holidays
If you need a little inspiration, here are a few additional tips to get you moving, eating right and fit for the holidays!
- Sign up for a race. You don’t have to run it. You can totally walk it. Many people do well if they are working toward a date, and event. Check out the list of races in your area and sign up!
- Get a workout buddy. Having someone to keep you accountable can be very helpful. You can motivate each other and it can be easier making it to the gym if you know a friend is waiting for you.
- Think “moderation.” No need to deprive yourself of the delicious treats during the holidays. Just enjoy them in moderation. A few bits, a few sips …
- Stock your kitchen with healthy snacks. In addition, a few ready-made healthy meals will make your life a lot easier when you come home from work starving but too tired to cook.
- Schedule your workouts. Whether you prefer to workout first thing in the morning, on your lunch break or right after work, scheduling exercise (like you’d schedule an appointment) helps you stay on track and make sure exercise is part of your day!
Lake Region Fitness Hours
This well-maintained gym is located inside Hawley Silk Mill and offers easy parking and a friendly staff. Its hours of operation are:
Monday – Thursday 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday – 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday – 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The HAWLEY SILK MILL
The Silk Mill in Hawley has been a vital part of this community since its construction in 1880. Its many incarnations over the years have included a silk factory with the foremost technology of the day, a textile factory and antique center. Never has it been more vibrant than today. The vision for the repurposed factory is to have a center that celebrates the lifestyle of the Pocono Lake Region – a place for the residents and visitors alike to shop, gather, eat, exercise, and learn.
The Hawley Silk Mill is located at 8 Silk Mill Drive in Hawley, PA. Come and visit us!
Photo Credit: andresrimaging / iStock / Thinkstock