Summertime is one of the best seasons to be in Hawley, and for more reasons than just the fantastic weather. All summer long, there is a wide variety of exciting outdoor activities, live music, and events that are sure to delight every member of the family. While you’re planning your next vacation to Hawley, here are some suggestions for fun things to do in the Poconos in summer.
While you’re picking and choosing your favorite things to do in the Poconos in summer, don’t forget to add some activities at Hawley Silk Mill to your list! This is the perfect place to grab a quick snack from the Mill Market Bakery, rejuvenate with a cup of coffee at Cocoon Coffee House, or shop for unique gifts and souvenirs.
The Best Things to Do in the Poconos in the Summer
1. Make a Splash at Lake Wallenpaupack
One of the most popular places to spend a hot summer’s day in Hawley is Lake Wallenpaupack. This 5,700-acre lake offers plenty of opportunities for you and your family to spend a day on the water and cool down from the summer heat. Visit the Recreation Center at Silver Birches Resort to rent watercrafts such as kayaks, paddleboards, and canoes for 2-hour, half-day, or full-day periods. They also offer lake activities such as water skiing, pontoon/power boat rentals, and more.
2. Take Summer Fitness Classes
While you’re at the lake, here is a fun way to stay in shape this season! Our hotels and resorts offer plenty of group fitness classes that you’ll want to be a part of. Silver Birches Resort and Lake Region Fitness have partnered to bring you a wide variety of exciting outdoor fitness classes including stand-up paddleboard lessons, lakefront yoga, kayak classes, and aqua Zumba sessions in the pool. These classes run from the second week of July until Labor Day, so be sure to attend your favorites before they’re gone!
The Settlers Inn and Ledges Hotel also offer peaceful summer yoga sessions in the garden or deck overlooking the falls. It’s the perfect way to start your day off right and rejuvenate your mind, body, and spirit. Classes began in June. They start at 9 a.m. and are $10 for visitors and free to Lake Region Fitness members.
3. Attend Wally Lake Fest
Lake Wallenpaupack is also the site of the incredibly popular Wally Lake Fest, an end-of-season event that features a slew of activities at the lake and around town! Be sure to visit us this August 24th-26th for all of the fun including a lakeside luau, watercraft activities, and of course, Wallypalooza Floating Music on the Lake. Here is a quick look at other fun happenings around town during Wally Lake Fest:
- Artisan Craft Fair (Saturday and Sunday): Held at Hawley Silk Mill, this indoor and outdoor market is the perfect opportunity to find unique gifts and souvenirs, local foods, and try free samples from the Mill Market Bakery. While you’re here, don’t forget to grab a refreshing drink from the Mojito Ice Bar!
- Wally Lake Fest Brunch (Saturday and Sunday): Grab a table at The Settlers Inn for a delectable prix fixe brunch featuring live music, bottomless mimosas, and a tasty omelet station. Price is $39 per person and reservations are strongly recommended.
4. Explore the Hiking Trails
The Pocono Mountains are abundant with fun and challenging hiking trails that introduce you to the astounding beauty of our region. If you’re looking for a way to explore the Poconos and stay active, here are some of our favorite local hiking trails:
- Shuman Point Hiking Trail: Located along the northeastern corner of Lake Wallenpaupack, this 3-mile trek provides lovely views of the lake, stone walls from an old farming field, dense forests, and a lush roadbed.
- Bushkill Falls Trail: Bushkill Falls is one of the most popular waterfall hikes in the Poconos. There are also several different trails that lead to the falls, so you’ll be able to pick the route that best suits your experience level.
- Promised Land State Park Trails: With over 50 miles of trails to explore, 6.5 miles of mountain biking roads, designated horseback riding trails, and ideal picnic locations, you’ll never run out of things to see and do in Promised Land State Park.
5. Enjoy a River Adventure
The Delaware River winds right through the Poconos, meaning Hawley visitors can enjoy an exciting river tubing adventure during their summer vacation. The two best river tubing companies near Hawley are Kittatinny Canoes and Lander’s River Trips. Both offer memorable trips down the river with light rapids that are sure to keep your adrenaline pumping.
The Lackawaxen River is also a great spot for kayaking and canoeing during the summer months!
6. Soar Through the Treetops on a Zipline
The sightseeing experience of a lifetime awaits! Ziplining is a fun and thrilling way to view the region’s parks, rivers, and forests from a whole new angle. You can also challenge your friends and family to a high-speed race through the treetops. Pocono Mountain Adventures and Kittatinny Canoes provide some of the longest and fastest zip lines in the region for a full afternoon of unforgettable adventure.
7. Watch Live Music Performances
After a long day of summer activities, there is nothing quite like grabbing an ice cold drink and listening to some great live music. This summer from the end of June through the end of August, be sure to stop by The Settlers Inn each Wednesday for Jazz on the Deck. It’s an excellent way to see some of the region’s hottest jazz musicians in a memorable local setting.
You can also watch live music performances at Silver Birches Resort every Friday night from 8pm-midnight. Shows are held at The Dock on Wallenpaupack. Local bands will play some of their best tunes for you while you enjoy your meal, unwind with a drink, and spend quality time with your loved ones. Lake Break at the Pub also provides live entertainment and is a great spot to lay back and enjoy good company. Each Sunday during the busy season, there is live music at The Deck from 3pm to 6pm.
If you’re a fan of both live music and delicious BBQ, you’re in luck! Each Sunday, Ledges Hotel hosts Blues, Brews, and BBQ, a popular event that perfectly combines your favorite summer staples and live music performances into one unforgettable dining experience. The price is $32.50 per person, and reservations are strongly recommended. While you’re here, why not make it a Sunday night getaway? Check out Ledges Hotel Blues, Brews, and BBQ Special to learn more about this spectacular lodging package.
8. Attend a Cooking Class at Hawley Silk Mill
On the second Sunday of each month, Hawley Silk Mill is proud to offer immersive cooking classes that are sure to delight any aspiring chef! Classes are led by professional pastry chef, Julia Kent, and other expert cooks that will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you. Here is a quick look at this summer’s upcoming cooking classes that you won’t want to miss:
- Killer Cupcakes (August 12th): As you indulge in a cupcake-flavored cocktail, Julia Kent will teach you everything she knows about baking and decorating outstanding cupcakes that you can be proud of. ($39 per person).
- BIENVENUE À PARIS: (Welcome to Paris) (September 9th): Now is your chance to learn how to make a croissant just like they do in Paris! Champagne is also included. ($39 per person).
Stop By Hawley Silk Mill This Summer
Whether you need a break from the sun, a rainy day solution, or something unique to add to your itinerary, we invite you to experience Hawley Silk Mill! Our completely restored 1800s mill is now a vibrant lifestyle center filled with eclectic shops, a beautiful art gallery, a fitness center, Pilates studio, and more. However you decide to spend your day with us, we’re sure your visit will become one of the highlights of your Hawley vacation. We’ll see you soon!